How To Survive A Spending Ban

As January was a very expensive month, I decided to go on a spending ban throughout February. As a massive impulse buyer, this was very difficult for me and that’s why it was only throughout February. Plus we went to Ikea the other day, and there was no way I was leaving there empty-handed.

I thought I’d list some tips on how to help if you have a problem with shopping. Okay, this is really starting to sound like Alcoholics Anonymous for shopping.
This is How To Survive A Spending Ban.

Set a Goal

Make a reason for the spending ban. Spending bans are not fun. You will be more likely to stick to it, if you have a goal in mind, and that way you will feel accomplished when you come to the end of it.

Take a Friend

Don’t shop alone, and make sure to tell the people you’re with that you’re on a spending ban. This way they can help to put you off that new eye-shadow palette.

Add Up The Prices of What You Don’t Buy

Keep in mind the price tag of all the items you don’t buy, as this can be really rewarding; especially when you add the price up.

Delete The Emails

Don’t even open the marketing emails. Just delete them straight away and that way you won’t have to look at the offers.

Avoid Your Favourite Shop

If you know that you usually spend a lot of money in a particular shop then don’t go in. I have to do this with Lush, but it really works. If you don’t go in then you can’t spend.

Shop Your Stash

Look through what you already have. Most of the time you may already have a really similar lipstick to the one that you’ve been lusting over! You may also find some dupes, or you may be able to do a ‘Shop My Stash’ blog post!

Prepare Your Food

Take your dinner out with you.  Buying food when you’re out and about can cost a fortune. Preparing your food the night before to take to work with you, will really help with saving those pennies.

Write Lists

Write down a list of everything you need, as this will stop you from buying anything that you shouldn’t. As you won’t get that ‘I don’t know if I need this, but I’ll get it just in case’, which can be really bad when you’re trying to save.

Those are my tips on how to stick to your saving ban! I hope this helps some of you out there! I also have a Christmas version of this. If you’re struggling for Christmas money.

16 responses to “How To Survive A Spending Ban”

1. Holly Shannon says:

Oooh good luck! I had a spending ban (on make-up) in November and December last year. Since my self-imposed ban lifted, I still haven't bought much this year yet! x

Holly ∣ Closingwinter

2. This post is so helpful! I need to put myself on a spending ban as I really want to go on holiday this year! I hope this will motivate me!
    Maya X || Vogue By Maya

3. Hannah Morris says:

Thank you! No way, I guess you get used to not spending! x

4. Hannah Morris says:

Thank you! I hope you manage it! x

5. Love Hijab says:

I put myself on a spending ban and only bought what I NEEDED not WANTED. I stuck to it and managed to save a good amount.

Nazira | Love Hijab Girl | Bloglovin

6. Alice Young says:

These are all such good tips! When I'm on a spending ban I usually have a massive clear out and sell loads of my clothes that I no longer wear so I can justify spending that money on some more aha!

The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

7. Hannah Morris says:

Yeah, if you can get to grips with what you really need and what you're just lusting after, you can really save a good amount! x

8. Hannah Morris says:

Thank you! That's such a good idea! x

9. Melissa x says:

I've put myself on a makeup spending ban this month and it's proving quite hard! Especially since I blog about beauty. But I'm doing well so far and these tips are great

The Modern Audrey

10. Great post! We've recently been monitoring and rationing our spending after realising how much we spent on makeup and cappucinos 😛
    Feel free to check out our latest post x
    LOOK LOVE WEAR

11. Hannah Morris says:

Good luck! I'm sure it'll get easier with time! Thank you! x

12. Hannah Morris says:

Thank you! It's so easy to spend too much on makeup, and who can resist stopping off to get a drink haha! I will do x

13. Lauren Barden says:

I've been trying to save money and not buy anything but I was a bit naughty this weekend in Topshop, trying to justify it by saying it's things I need which it is however I feel so guilty now!

Lauren Ashleigh xx

14. Hannah Morris says:

Aw no, don't feel guilty about it! It can be really difficult to stick to, especially when you see something you really like! x

15. Katya Bychkova says:

Great tips! Yes, December and January are very expensive months so it does make sense to save more afterwards. Summer is coming so extra cash is always a great idea!

StyleSprinter Blog by Katya Bychkova

16. Hannah Morris says:

Thank you! That's true, this is a pretty good time to save haha! x