How to Bake Chocolate Cupcakes for Beginners!

If there’s one thing I enjoy doing it’s baking. I don’t really do it that often, but I really want to get better at baking and cooking, so I thought blogging about what I make when I do make something would give me a push to do it more often.
I’ve titled this for beginners, as there is no fancy icing involved and it’s a simple recipe to follow. The end product does taste really good though!
The end result is basically a chocolate cupcake with chocolate icing with some sprinkles, (to put it simply). I ended up making two batches of these, as they ended up tasting amazing and I wanted there to be enough to go around. From this recipe there should be enough mix for eight cupcakes or more depending on how much you put in each case.
I also have a recipe for Triple Chocolate Cookies, that turned out amazing!

The ingredients:

Cupcakes:

2 Large Eggs
115 grams Caster Sugar
115 grams Butter
115 grams Self Raising Flour
1 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
Half Teaspoon Baking Powder

Icing:

200 grams Icing Sugar
I added a few tablespoons at a time until the mixture thickened nicely
Half a block of cooking chocolate

Method:

1. Before anything you’re going to want to pre-heat the oven to 190c or Gas 5, whichever one you have and set the cases ready for the mixture.
2. Next get your mixing bowl and add the butter and sugar and mix until it is light and fluffy. Being an amateur baker I never know when exactly this is, but I like to go for when it is all mixed together and the colour of the butter has lightened to an ivory instead of being yellow.
3. After this I added one egg and gave it a little stir before adding the other egg

4. Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder into the mixture and beat well. Be sure to do the three separately, as you don’t want to get putting them all through at once.

5. Once your mixture starts to look cake mix you can go ahead and add it to the cases. You can add as much or as little as you’d like if you’d like to make different sized cakes. Let the cakes bake for around 13 minutes and you can take this time to do some of the washing up or lick the bowl, or if you’re feeling adventurous do both!

Once your cakes have finished cooking and are out of the oven it is best to let them cool, so whilst they’re doing this, we’re going to move onto the icing.

Icing

1. I used half a block of cooking chocolate and melted it in the microwave by breaking it up into a bowl and then putting it in the microwave for 10 seconds then taking it out for a mix as nobody likes burnt chocolate and repeated until it had fully melted.
2. Sift the icing sugar into a separate bowl and add some of the chocolate and a few tablespoons of water. Repeat until the mixture is thick. If the mixture gets too thin then add some more icing sugar which will thicken it.
3. I used a knife to spread the icing over the cupcake and then put some sprinkles on whilst it was still wet so they stuck.

And there we have it! A delicious batch of chocolate cupcakes!

Blog Signature

6 responses to “How to Bake Chocolate Cupcakes for Beginners!”

1. Helen C says:

I love love baking too! These chocolate sprinkle cupcakes look so tasty. I find blogging about my baking encourages me to bake more often, the last thing I baked was a walnut and coffee cake although I haven’t yet shared it on my blog. I like that you posted the different steps through photos too! Happy baking! 🙂 xx

Helen | Helens Fashion & Beauty Blog

2. Hannah Morris says:

They really were tasty! It really works doesn't it?! That sounds delicious! haha thank you!xx

3. its Jessie and Danni says:

They look delicious!! I love baking! Seeing your post is making me want to bake cakes haha x

♡ itsjessiejane ♡

4. Jasmine Riel says:

oh my goodness, these look fantastic!! Thanks so much for sharing! 😀

thesixthdisneyprincess.blogspot.com

5. Hannah Morris says:

No problem! Thank you for reading! x

6. Amelia Grace says: