Home » The Subtle Highlighter Edit

The Subtle Highlighter Edit

I don’t tend to write about subtle highlights, mainly because I like my highlighter to be glowing. When I say glowing, I mean glowing, so subtle doesn’t really tend to get a look in. Just recently I have been loving a more subtle approach for day-to-day tasks. Plus I know not everyone likes extremes, and that’s okay.

Here are some subtle highlighters.

ELF | Moonlight Pearls Baked Highlighter

I’m a little unsure about including this in here, as when I swatched the… let’s say: ‘well loved’ version in the store, it was rather blinding. This version is the complete opposite, it’s almost as if it has a overspray that needs to be scratched off, which is never good. I apply around 4+ layers of this to get something that is in-between blinding and subtle. It might take less work down the road, which will be good. The colour is beautiful, and I think it used to be raved about a lot back in the day. It’s a stunning champagne, and for £5 it’s super affordable too.

MAC | Lightscapade

I’m not going to lie I hated this when I first got it, as it is really sheer. I’ve recently started to love it though and I find myself using it more and more often. It’s described as being beige, but I think it’s more white with a very light gold tint. It’s a beautiful colour and leaves a lovely candlelit glow. This is on the pricey side at £25.50, so if you’re looking to treat yourself this might be an option to go for.

Wet N Wild | Blossom Glow

Wet N Wild is a new brand in the UK. As soon as they launched on Beauty Bay, I knew I had to get a highlighter. At first I was a little unsure of what colour to go with, but after looking at some swatches it become very apparent that Precious Petals is a lot darker than it looks online. I have Blossom Glow which is a Pale Pink Silver. When you first apply it, it starts out very subtle and needs multiple layers to be built up to. I know people hate the word buttery, but that is how this feels in the pan. It is so smooth and so soft, and there is no kickback. For £3.75 this is a great highlighter for a natural glow. Side note: I hate that the lid doesn’t click shut, it is the most unsatisfying thing.

Top to Bottom: Elf Moonlight Pearls, MAC Lightscapade, Wet N Wild Blossom Glow. The swatches don’t look very subtle as I built them up so you can see the colour.

Those are my favourite subtle highlighters! This Kiko one is something I know is subtle, but I didn’t want to include it here, as I haven’t worn it in a long time. I used to wear it a lot las December, and that’s when the review is from.

Do you like subtle highlighters?

1. Emily
    26th August 2018 / 4:22 pm

I’m the kinda gal who likes a subtle glow so this edit is definitely right up my street! I’m definitely drawn to Wet N Wild Blossom Glow, it’s so pretty!

Musings & More

• 26th August 2018 / 7:10 pm

A subtle highlight is really beautiful. It’s so affordable and the perfect highlighter for a subtle glow xx

• 26th August 2018 / 7:11 pm

That’s true, MAC do some really great highlighters xx

2. 26th August 2018 / 6:05 pm

I do love a really blinding glow sometimes but for an everyday glow I really like it to be subtle! The Elf highlighter colour looks amazing I love that it’s kind of pinky tone, the Mac one also looks gorge! Might need to pick one up xx

• 26th August 2018 / 7:13 pm

Sometimes a subtle glow can look really beautiful too, and can make a nice change. The ELF one is super gorgeous, and so affordable too. The MAC one is super pretty too. Hope you like them if you give them a try xx

• 27th August 2018 / 3:43 pm

It’s such a pretty colour xx

3. 26th August 2018 / 11:54 pm

I’m obsessed with that wet n wild highlighter. At first, it seemed too subtle for me but once I wore it alone and every time I walked past a mirror I kept noticing my highlight haha. At one point I even owned the other two highlighters but have since decluttered them as they were too subtle for me. (I actually declutted both my mac highlighters the other day)

• 27th August 2018 / 3:44 pm

It’s a pretty one, it’s always so good when that happens haha! Ah I always put off decluttering highlighter as I love it haha xx

• 27th August 2018 / 3:49 pm

It’s such a soft pretty one. Soft and Gentle is gorgeous too xx

• 22nd October 2018 / 1:29 pm

It’s such a fab highlighter!xx

4. 27th August 2018 / 7:40 pm

These are all great recommendations! Highlighter is one of my favorite steps of my makeup routine! Thanks for sharing! x

melissakacar.blogspot.com

• 22nd October 2018 / 1:30 pm

Thank you, I’m glad you think so! Highlighter definitely adds a lot xx

5. 27th August 2018 / 8:51 pm

I am obsessed with that wet n wild highlighter at the moment! I’m so happy the brand has finally come to the Uk. I must check out that MAC one. It looks so pretty xx

• 22nd October 2018 / 1:34 pm

It’s such a good one, especially for the price. It’s brilliant that we’re getting more brands available here too, without having to pay shipping. The MAC one is super pretty xx

• 22nd October 2018 / 1:34 pm

I’m glad you like them! The MAC one is super pretty xx

6. Amber Atlanta
    28th August 2018 / 11:17 am

They are all so beautiful! Sometimes a subtle highlighter can be so pretty, it looks like it’s come within, and you’re just naturally that glowy and gorgeous!xx
    Amber | http://www.amberatlanta.blogspot.co.uk

• 22nd October 2018 / 2:11 pm

I’m glad you think so! I definitely agree with you, a subtle highlighter can look beautiful xx

7. 29th August 2018 / 3:33 am

I like highlighters that are subtle but that can build-up. I really like the wet-n-wild brand because it is more affordable. Thank you for sharing this! P.S. You have a new follower on Bloglovin and Insta 🙂 Have a lovely day <3

-PerlaGiselle | iamperlita.com

P.S. I will be hosting a giftcard giveaway on my Instagram page soon! Let’s follow each other!
    instagram.com/iamperlita

• 22nd October 2018 / 2:13 pm

They’re great aren’t they, because then at least you get the option. It’s definitely one of the best, as it’s so affordable, but works so well. Thank you so much! You too xx

8. Laura
    29th August 2018 / 8:53 pm

I’ve wanted to try a Mac highlighter for the longest time. I’m definitely going to swatch a few Wet n Wild ones when I’m in the States in a couple of weeks before I make any purchases, this one looks lovely though! xx

Laura | Blush and Bronze

• 22nd October 2018 / 2:16 pm

They have so many to pick from and have some beautiful colours! If you can get them in the states that would be better, as I think they have colours to pick from than we do xx

9. 29th August 2018 / 10:41 pm

Some lovely products here. Funnily enough, I have an ELF baked eyeshadow palette and it sounds exactly the same. I need to scratch at it to get any colour pay off. Very odd!
    Great post as always.

Samantha x

• 22nd October 2018 / 2:17 pm

Thank you, I’m glad you think so! It’s a strange formula, that’s for sure! Thank you so much xx

10. 30th August 2018 / 6:37 pm

I definitely prefer to have a subtle highlight, these look amazing I’ll have some of them a try. Thanks for sharing!

Shelley x

• 22nd October 2018 / 2:17 pm

Subtle highlights can look beautiful! I’m glad you like the look of these. No problem, thank you for stopping by xx

11. Kay
    31st August 2018 / 1:14 pm

I love a blinding highlight, and when I want to tone it down I usually just use less, or blend it out a little more. These are some really good picks, though, love the look of the first one, especially. Subtle, but the shade is so pretty. Thank you for sharing, beaut. <3 xoxo

Kay

• 22nd October 2018 / 2:42 pm

Yeah I’m a sucker for a blinding highlighter! Thank you, I’m glad you still like the look of these. It’s a really pretty colour for sure. No problem, thank you for stopping by xx

12. 1st September 2018 / 2:00 am

I prefer a more subtle highlighter so thank you for these recommendations! I’ve looked at the ELF one many times and have debated getting it, but I’ll have to give it a try x

x Kara | http://karascloset.net/

• 22nd October 2018 / 2:43 pm

Subtle highlighters can look really beautiful! It’s a beautiful colour that’s for sure xx

13. 1st September 2018 / 2:03 pm

I have the same wet n’ wild highlighter that I bought back from the US and it’s really pretty but ugh, the lid is soo unsatisfying!! Love this post!xx

• 22nd October 2018 / 2:44 pm

I’m glad you like it too! Yes, the lid is the worst haha! Thank you so much xx

• 22nd October 2018 / 2:44 pm

Subtle can look really beautiful xx

• 22nd October 2018 / 2:45 pm

Yes, I’m with you on that one haha!xx

14. 2nd September 2018 / 2:53 pm

This post is perfect for me – I’m pretty much a sucker for a good highlighter!

• 22nd October 2018 / 3:12 pm

I’m so glad you like it! Yes highlight can definitely finish a look off xx

15. 2nd September 2018 / 4:27 pm

I’ve heard great things about the Wet n Wild highlighters – I will have to add one to my next Beauty Bay order…

Jasmine xx

Jasmine Talks Beauty

• 22nd October 2018 / 3:17 pm

They are definitely worth it, especially for the price xx

16. Elizabeth Seal
    2nd September 2018 / 4:51 pm

Ahh these are all so ethereal and beautiful! I really love a subtle highlight and these look gorgeous 😀 xx

elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara

• 22nd October 2018 / 3:18 pm

I’m glad you think so! Subtle highlighters look so beautiful xx

• 22nd October 2018 / 3:18 pm

Glad you like the look of them!xx

• 22nd October 2018 / 3:19 pm

The MAC one is so beautiful!xx

17. 5th September 2018 / 10:11 am

I must say I love a rather bold, in your face highlight – but these look/sound so good! A perfect selection for an everyday wear. Thanks for the inspo dear! xx

Naya

• 22nd October 2018 / 3:36 pm

I’m with you on that one, bold highlighters are one of my favourites too. Subtle highlighters can be perfect for day wear. No problem, thank you for stopping by xx

18. Darriyan Lawley
    5th September 2018 / 1:45 pm

I’ve never been a fan of really bright highlighters! This is perfect for me! Thanks for sharing,

Darriyan x

• 22nd October 2018 / 3:37 pm

Subtle ones can look so beautiful too! I’m glad this post is helpful for you xx

• 22nd October 2018 / 3:38 pm

I’m totally with you on that one! Subtle ones can be so beautiful too xx

19. Georgia
    9th September 2018 / 8:40 pm

This is a great post – I’m with you on wanting to be glowing all the time but really am in need of something a little more understated for everyday. I’ll definitely give one of these a whirl!

//teandtwosugars.blogspot.com xx

• 22nd October 2018 / 3:40 pm

Thank you so much, I’m glad you think so! Sometimes something subtle can look stunning for day wear. I hope you like it if you do pick one up xx

20. 23rd October 2018 / 5:43 pm

I really want to try a Wet n Wild highlighter. I tend to use subtle highlighters as a finishing powder and brush it where I want glow but not such an intense glow. Great post!

Jennifer | Mrs Q Beauty