The Subtle Highlighter Edit

I don’t tend to write about subtle highlights, mainly because I like my highlighter to be glowing. When I say glowing, I mean glowing, so subtle doesn’t really tend to get a look in. Just recently I have been loving a more subtle approach for day-to-day tasks. Plus I know not everyone likes extremes, and that’s okay.

Here are some subtle highlighters.

ELF | Moonlight Pearls Baked Highlighter

I’m a little unsure about including this in here, as when I swatched the… let’s say: ‘well loved’ version in the store, it was rather blinding. This version is the complete opposite, it’s almost as if it has a overspray that needs to be scratched off, which is never good. I apply around 4+ layers of this to get something that is in-between blinding and subtle. It might take less work down the road, which will be good. The colour is beautiful, and I think it used to be raved about a lot back in the day. It’s a stunning champagne, and for £5 it’s super affordable too.

MAC | Lightscapade

I’m not going to lie I hated this when I first got it, as it is really sheer. I’ve recently started to love it though and I find myself using it more and more often. It’s described as being beige, but I think it’s more white with a very light gold tint. It’s a beautiful colour and leaves a lovely candlelit glow. This is on the pricey side at £25.50, so if you’re looking to treat yourself this might be an option to go for.

Wet N Wild | Blossom Glow

Wet N Wild is a new brand in the UK. As soon as they launched on Beauty Bay, I knew I had to get a highlighter. At first I was a little unsure of what colour to go with, but after looking at some swatches it become very apparent that Precious Petals is a lot darker than it looks online. I have Blossom Glow which is a Pale Pink Silver. When you first apply it, it starts out very subtle and needs multiple layers to be built up to. I know people hate the word buttery, but that is how this feels in the pan. It is so smooth and so soft, and there is no kickback. For £3.75 this is a great highlighter for a natural glow. Side note: I hate that the lid doesn’t click shut, it is the most unsatisfying thing.

Top to Bottom: Elf Moonlight Pearls, MAC Lightscapade, Wet N Wild Blossom Glow. The swatches don’t look very subtle as I built them up so you can see the colour.

Those are my favourite subtle highlighters! This Kiko one is something I know is subtle, but I didn’t want to include it here, as I haven’t worn it in a long time. I used to wear it a lot las December, and that’s when the review is from.

Do you like subtle highlighters?

1. Emily
    26th August 2018 / 4:22 pm

I’m the kinda gal who likes a subtle glow so this edit is definitely right up my street! I’m definitely drawn to Wet N Wild Blossom Glow, it’s so pretty!

Musings & More

• 26th August 2018 / 7:10 pm

A subtle highlight is really beautiful. It’s so affordable and the perfect highlighter for a subtle glow xx

• 26th August 2018 / 7:11 pm

That’s true, MAC do some really great highlighters xx

2. 26th August 2018 / 6:05 pm

I do love a really blinding glow sometimes but for an everyday glow I really like it to be subtle! The Elf highlighter colour looks amazing I love that it’s kind of pinky tone, the Mac one also looks gorge! Might need to pick one up xx

• 26th August 2018 / 7:13 pm

Sometimes a subtle glow can look really beautiful too, and can make a nice change. The ELF one is super gorgeous, and so affordable too. The MAC one is super pretty too. Hope you like them if you give them a try xx

• 27th August 2018 / 3:43 pm

It’s such a pretty colour xx

3. 26th August 2018 / 11:54 pm

I’m obsessed with that wet n wild highlighter. At first, it seemed too subtle for me but once I wore it alone and every time I walked past a mirror I kept noticing my highlight haha. At one point I even owned the other two highlighters but have since decluttered them as they were too subtle for me. (I actually declutted both my mac highlighters the other day)

• 27th August 2018 / 3:44 pm

It’s a pretty one, it’s always so good when that happens haha! Ah I always put off decluttering highlighter as I love it haha xx

• 27th August 2018 / 3:49 pm

It’s such a soft pretty one. Soft and Gentle is gorgeous too xx

4. 27th August 2018 / 7:40 pm

These are all great recommendations! Highlighter is one of my favorite steps of my makeup routine! Thanks for sharing! x

melissakacar.blogspot.com

5. 27th August 2018 / 8:51 pm

I am obsessed with that wet n wild highlighter at the moment! I’m so happy the brand has finally come to the Uk. I must check out that MAC one. It looks so pretty xx

6. Amber Atlanta
    28th August 2018 / 11:17 am

They are all so beautiful! Sometimes a subtle highlighter can be so pretty, it looks like it’s come within, and you’re just naturally that glowy and gorgeous!xx
    Amber | http://www.amberatlanta.blogspot.co.uk

7. 29th August 2018 / 3:33 am

I like highlighters that are subtle but that can build-up. I really like the wet-n-wild brand because it is more affordable. Thank you for sharing this! P.S. You have a new follower on Bloglovin and Insta 🙂 Have a lovely day <3

-PerlaGiselle | iamperlita.com

P.S. I will be hosting a giftcard giveaway on my Instagram page soon! Let’s follow each other!
    instagram.com/iamperlita

8. Laura
    29th August 2018 / 8:53 pm

I’ve wanted to try a Mac highlighter for the longest time. I’m definitely going to swatch a few Wet n Wild ones when I’m in the States in a couple of weeks before I make any purchases, this one looks lovely though! xx

Laura | Blush and Bronze

9. 29th August 2018 / 10:41 pm

Some lovely products here. Funnily enough, I have an ELF baked eyeshadow palette and it sounds exactly the same. I need to scratch at it to get any colour pay off. Very odd!
    Great post as always.

Samantha x

10. 30th August 2018 / 6:37 pm

I definitely prefer to have a subtle highlight, these look amazing I’ll have some of them a try. Thanks for sharing!

Shelley x

11. Kay
    31st August 2018 / 1:14 pm

I love a blinding highlight, and when I want to tone it down I usually just use less, or blend it out a little more. These are some really good picks, though, love the look of the first one, especially. Subtle, but the shade is so pretty. Thank you for sharing, beaut. <3 xoxo

Kay

12. 1st September 2018 / 2:00 am

I prefer a more subtle highlighter so thank you for these recommendations! I’ve looked at the ELF one many times and have debated getting it, but I’ll have to give it a try x

x Kara | http://karascloset.net/

13. 1st September 2018 / 2:03 pm

I have the same wet n’ wild highlighter that I bought back from the US and it’s really pretty but ugh, the lid is soo unsatisfying!! Love this post!xx

14. 2nd September 2018 / 2:53 pm

This post is perfect for me – I’m pretty much a sucker for a good highlighter!

15. 2nd September 2018 / 4:27 pm

I’ve heard great things about the Wet n Wild highlighters – I will have to add one to my next Beauty Bay order…

Jasmine xx

Jasmine Talks Beauty

16. Elizabeth Seal
    2nd September 2018 / 4:51 pm

Ahh these are all so ethereal and beautiful! I really love a subtle highlight and these look gorgeous 😀 xx

elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara

17. 5th September 2018 / 10:11 am

I must say I love a rather bold, in your face highlight – but these look/sound so good! A perfect selection for an everyday wear. Thanks for the inspo dear! xx

Naya

18. Darriyan Lawley
    5th September 2018 / 1:45 pm

I’ve never been a fan of really bright highlighters! This is perfect for me! Thanks for sharing,

Darriyan x

19. Georgia
    9th September 2018 / 8:40 pm

This is a great post – I’m with you on wanting to be glowing all the time but really am in need of something a little more understated for everyday. I’ll definitely give one of these a whirl!

//teandtwosugars.blogspot.com xx