How to Bake Brownies

It feels like this year is flying, and I’m keeping to my ‘bake something new every month’ challenge really well! I still have no idea what I’m doing half of the time, but I’m learning and getting there. This month I made brownies that turned out incredible, out of everything in this series these are my favourite by far! If Brownies aren’t your thing I also have a Raspberry Cupcake recipe you can follow.

I found this recipe on the BBC Good Food website, it is no way near my own, but I did add more milk and white chocolate.

Ingredients:

Method:

Cut the butter into small chunks, and add it to a medium-sized bowl. Break the dark chocolate into pieces and add it to the same bowl. We now need to melt this. In order to do this, I put the bowl over a saucepan of boiling water. you need to stir it continuously and make sure the bowl isn’t touching the water. When everything is melted, carefully put the bowl on the side off the heat.

Set the oven to 160C Conventional/ 180C Gas/ Gas 4. If you have grease proof paper you can use that, but I used butter to grease the tray and it came out just fine. It is recommended to use a shallow 20cm tray, but mine is bigger than that and again it was fine.

In a separate bowl sieve together the cocoa powder and plain flour to erase any lumps. You will not be adding anything else to this bowl.

It would be much easier to buy chocolate chunks, as they’re already small, because you’ll need to cut the blocks in half, so you don’t end up with massive bits of chocolate in your brownies.

Break the three eggs into a different bowl and add the castor sugar. I used a hand whisk, and it didn’t take long to get the mixture thick and creamy.

Pour the chocolate mixture into the bowl with the egg and sugar, and then fold in together with a figure 8 motion. Just be careful to not knock the air out, so be sure to mix it slowly and by hand.

Use the same motions as the previous step to incorporate the flour and cocoa powder. If the mixture is still dry and dusty then it is not finished. Then add the chocolate chunks and continue to stir until they are evenly spread out. I finished mixing mine when the mixture thickened slightly, but not too much.

Pour the mixture into the prepared tray and spread it out equally, as well as making sure it’s level.

In The Oven

After 25 minutes you can make sure it is cooked through by carefully giving the tray a little shake. If the mixture moves then it needs to go back in the oven for around five minutes. When it’s ready it will also have a shiny, papery crust.

When it is cooked through you can leave it to cool before removing it from the tray. In order to remove it from the tray I tipped it upside over a cooling rack, and it came straight out. Once cooled, cut into squares or any shape you like and you’re good to go!

The Outcome

This took a little longer than expected to make, but they’re so worth it! To me, they’re what a brownie should be, slightly crispy on the outside, but soft on the inside.

Will you be trying the recipe?

Blog Signature

46 responses to “How to Bake Brownies”

1. OMG – these brownies looks so good. Definitely need to try this recipe – amazing post X
    Sarah X

2. Jordan says:

Ahh these look incredible! Definitely going to give these a go at the weekend! x

3. Laila says:

OMG! I usually make box brownies, but these make me want to make them from scratch!

Laila from Townhouse Palette

4. Devina Cruz says:

Wow! These brownies look delicious!! I’m definitely going to try out this recipe. Thanks for sharing this recipe 🙂

-Devina

5. Megan says:

These look amazing Hannah like omg! The photos are also incredible! Definitely will be trying these out and I also love the mixture of the chocolates. 🙂
    Megan http://itsmeganquinn.blogspot.ie

6. I LOVE brownies so much! Me and my little one bake them all the time because he’s a wee brownie addict haha. It’s great you’ve done a post on this so people can go try it out with really easy instructions!

Jordanne || Thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk

7. Alice says:

These look so yummy! I have such a weakness for chocolate, especially white choc so the chunks inside look heavenly, will deffo be trying this recipe when I’m not on a diet!

8. Sophie says:

Brownies are one of my favourite treats and these look sooo delicious, I love baking so I will have to bake these! X

9. Tiffany says:

These look delicious! I love brownies but have never been able to get them perfect so will definitely give this recipe a try!

Tiffany x http://www.foodandotherloves.co.uk

10. Corinne & Kirsty says:

OMG OMG OMG! This looks so so delicious! I just had dinner but I could eat a whole brownie now! I am defo going to try this recipe! xx corinne

11. Caitlin Steele says:

OMG these look amazing! Definitely going to have to make some sometime! x

caityloux.blogspot.co.uk

12. Kate says:

These look insane and yes a perfect brownie has to be crispy on the outside and soft on in inside!!
    These look insane and your photos are incredible, definitely give them a go!
    Kate Xx

13. Nicole Hurst says:

Ah not a good post to read when your on a diet ahah!! They look so yummy!
    Nicole x Nicoleannx

14. These brownies look absolutely incredible!! I’m definitely going to be trying this recipe out soon X http://bloggerwithoutaclue.blogspot.co.uk/

15. Amy says:

These look absolutely amazing! I’m going to have to make some brownies sometime soon ♥
    Amy xx

Little Moon Dragon

16. Lauryn Griffiths says:

These look insane! I now crave brownies..I’m gluten free but this is a great recipe as all I would have to do is change the flour to gluten free flour! I might have to make these they look yum!x

17. Amy says:

Aaand now I’m craving brownies! Thanks for sharing this and well done on sticking to your baking challenge this year.

Amy – https://amyevans.co.uk

18. Khadija says:

Those look so tasty and brownies are my fave! Can never go wrong with chocolate! Thanks for sharing the recipe deffo making these later on today ♥

Khadija x

19. Bernadette says:

I definitely need to try out this brownie recipe! It sounds so delicious and I am a sucker for chocolately desserts!

20. erin says:

I really love brownies they are one of my favourites to make! I love them!

Erin || MakeErinOver

21. Naya says:

Hannah, you’re a wizard! These look absolutely delicious!

Naya // http://www.partyparrotblog.com

22. Crispy on the outside but soft on the inside brownies are literally my favourite- that’s my kind of perfect right there. These look absolutely incredible as well, although I’d probably sub out the white chocolate for more dark chocolate because I am seriously loving dark chocolate lately.

Julia // The Sunday Mode