Blogging Photography Props

Now I’m not some sort of photography expert, but I do love a good photo taking session and I’ve been doing this for a while now, so I thought it’s only right to share what I’ve learnt (which isn’t that much, but we’ll see how we get on)

I don’t have a fancy camera, so I take all of my photos on my phone and edit them on there too. I have an iPhone 6 and I use Afterlight to edit. I’ve recently took the plunge and bought Face Tune for the whitening feature, and oh my god it has changed the game. If you want a white background then it is definitely worth investing. If you’d like an in-depth: ‘How I edit my photos’, then feel free to let me know.

My approach to blogging photos has been: ‘invest in the editing, and save on props’. You can get some great props for really good prices. This mainly involves shopping around and looking in places like The Range or Primark.

Backgrounds

When I was first starting out I had no idea what to use as a background, but I finally learnt what worked for me and what didn’t.

Wallpaper Samples

If somewhere sells wallpaper then chances are they’re going to have samples for you to take home. You can get wallpaper in lots of different colours and styles, so you’re bound to find something you like, and best of all; it’s free!

Coloured Card

A good way to break your photos up is by adding a little bit of colour, and a good way to do this is by investing in a piece of card and slotting it in the background. Like the wallpaper you can get it in a number of colours, so you’re bound to find something you like.

Clothes

The lace thing I use in my photos is actually a dress I got from Missguided a while ago, and thought it looked like too much of a nightie to wear out, so it’s now my blogging background. For my photos I used to get another top and put that over it to break it up, so it wasn’t all the same colour. If you have something that you think would look nice in a photo, then experiment with it.

Rugs / Blankets

I feel like a white fluffy background is such a classic, and that’s because it looks so good! There are also plenty of other styles on the market, so if White and Fluffy isn’t your style, I’m sure you can find something.

Marble

If clichΓ© blogger is your style then you can’t go wrong with a classic marble background. You can purchase something from somewhere like Amazon. Then stick it to some cardboard and you’re ready to fool everybody into thinking you have a Marble Table.

Props:

Props are a great way for you to get creative and put together a set up of things you look great to share with your readers.

Trays and Dishes

These are a fabulous way of adding another layer to your photo, and help to break it up, so you aren’t looking a plain background. I also use a tray when I don’t want to get my background dirty, so there’s another good reason to invest in a good dish. I get all of mine from Ikea, but places like H&M Home and TK Maxx are good too.

Ribbon

I love a good bit of ribbon, I got mine from Hobby-craft for Β£1, and it’s lasting me ages. If an area looks blank I twist the ribbon and add it in.

Fake Flowers and Plants

Of course real flowers are beautiful to look at, but that is an expensive habit to keep up. If you invest in some fake flowers then you’re good to go and you shouldn’t need to repurchase, plus they also look pretty in your room. Places like The Range, Ikea and Etsy are good places to look.

Notebooks/ Books

These are another great way of breaking up the colour and adding an extra layer to your photos. The Lauren Conrad books were massive at one point, and you can get really affordable notebooks with pretty covers.

A Few More Ideas:

Stationary

Candles

Letter Light Box

Glasses

Jewellery

Magazines

An electronic device (Laptop, phone, etc)

Scarves

Mug Coasters

Yourself! (Hold the product with your hand, or photograph yourself applying it)

That’s it! I hope this post helps you, and if you have anything else to add to either of these lists, be sure to leave it in the comments, so other people can see.

What are your favourite props?

• 20th November 2017 / 4:38 pm

I’m glad you think so! Thank you so much xx

• 20th November 2017 / 4:39 pm

I’m so glad you think so! Looking for props can be so fun xx

1. 19th November 2017 / 6:41 pm

I’ve been trying to fake the marble table for a while now haha! Fake flowers and ribbon are definitely ones I’m trying to incorporate more into my photos. Great post!
    Charlotte / Charlotte’s Picks

• 20th November 2017 / 4:42 pm

The fake marble table is such a popular option haha! They both look so good in photos, and I hope you manage to find ones you like! Thank you so much xx

2. Katie
    19th November 2017 / 6:55 pm

Love these ideas! I used to use clothes all the time but I’ve gotten out of that habit, I really need to remember it more. I don’t have a white fluffy rug but I bought a piece of white furry fabric to use instead!

• 20th November 2017 / 4:44 pm

Thank you! Clothes make such a nice background, and it’s so easy to do too. Using a bit of fabric is a brilliant idea, so much more affordable than buying the full rug xx

3. 19th November 2017 / 7:15 pm

Oh gosh this is so helpful! I just started blogging and I was just thinking about what to use in my pictures. I always thought I had to use a dslr camera with a tripod in order to have good pictures but you take beautiful photos using your phone!

• 20th November 2017 / 4:46 pm

Thank you, I am so glad you think so! You definitely don’t need to have the full equipment, it’s all about finding what works for you, and I hope you manage to find things that you love! Thank you so much xx

• 20th November 2017 / 5:11 pm

Thank you, I’m glad you think so! haha, it really doesn’t look like one. Sometimes clothes make the best backgrounds xx

4. 19th November 2017 / 10:19 pm

Fab ideas! I love experimenting with my photos – there are so many brilliant props just hiding around the house that you wouldn’t usually think of!xx

Lucy | http://www.lucy-cole.co.uk

• 20th November 2017 / 5:13 pm

Thank you, I’m glad you think so! That’s so true, you could make anything into a prop if you try hard enough haha xx

5. 19th November 2017 / 10:46 pm

These are all such great ideas! I’ll need to visit a place that sells wallpaper as I could definitely use some free backdrops! Otherwise I use marble contact paper from Amazon glued to a poster board. Also, I had no idea that you take all your photos on the phone, they look just as good as ones taken with a dslr!

Jenny | Geeky Posh

• 20th November 2017 / 5:15 pm

Thank you, I’m glad you think so! It’s such a great way to get a backdrop, and you can’t beat it, if it’s free! That’s a good idea too. Thank you so much, that means a lot!xx

• 20th November 2017 / 5:16 pm

Thank you, I’m glad you think so! No problem, thank you for stopping by xx

• 20th November 2017 / 5:16 pm

No problem, thank you for stopping by! I’m glad you think so xx

6. 20th November 2017 / 3:42 am

These are all great ideas! I often use the same props over and over again.

• 20th November 2017 / 5:17 pm

Thank you, I’m glad you think so! I tend to do the same too, but I love your pictures xx

7. 20th November 2017 / 6:54 am

I love your photos <3 The best part about blogging is that we all use similar things such as fake flowers etc. but everyone has a different style of photography! I have used things like my exercise mat as a background for my photos and even a bathroom mat, sometimes you just have to look around the house and there's so much you can incorporate into photos <3

Lots of love,
    Agnese | http://www.agnesehadebe.com

• 20th November 2017 / 5:19 pm

Thank you so much, and I love yours too! That’s so true, it’s great seeing what everybody does with them, as we all certainly have our own styles. Looking around the house is such a good idea, you can make anything into a prop really xx

8. Amber Atlanta
    20th November 2017 / 12:21 pm

These are some really great photos Hannah! I love how adding such simple things to the backgrounds can make for some of the best photos!
    Amber | http://www.amberatlanta.blogspot.co.uk

• 20th November 2017 / 5:20 pm

Thank you so much! It really can, and you don’t need to spend a lot either xx

9. 20th November 2017 / 12:25 pm

I had no idea these were iPhone photos, you’re a wizard! They look very good and I like the way you style them, great tips here xx

Naya // http://www.partyparrotblog.com

• 20th November 2017 / 5:21 pm

haha, thank you so much, that means a lot! I’m glad you think so xx

• 20th November 2017 / 5:22 pm

I’m glad you think so! Finding what works for you can be so difficult, so I’m hoping it clicks for you soon xx

10. 20th November 2017 / 2:31 pm

It’s so incredible that you take your pictures with your phone and yet they look like they have been taken with a profesional camera. You are incredibly skilled!

Vanessa x | http://www.springlilies.com

• 20th November 2017 / 5:23 pm

Thank you so much, this means a lot!xx

• 20th November 2017 / 5:24 pm

Thank you, I’m glad you think so! I hope you find something you like xx

11. 20th November 2017 / 3:54 pm

great tips! love this post, Hannah! πŸ™‚

blackberriesandsparkles.com/2017/11/20/statement-sleeves/

• 20th November 2017 / 11:21 pm

I’m glad you think so! No problem, thank you for stopping by xx

12. Yiota
    21st November 2017 / 12:06 pm

I love to use flowers, they are my no.1 props, they are so romantic and give a lovely feeling to my photos. Also fabrics such as lace or velvet look good πŸ™‚

Yiota
    pinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com

• 21st November 2017 / 10:19 pm

That is so true, flowers add a really nice touch. Lace and Velvet are fab materials xx

13. 22nd November 2017 / 2:55 am

I just usually use my real marble cutting board. But, I have a faux marble covering that I found online as well for a project that I was doing. Your photos look great, dear! I love seeing creative images the most! /Madison
    FASHION TALES

• 23rd November 2017 / 5:51 pm

The marble is such a good idea, it always looks so pretty! Thank you, I am glad you think so xx

14. 22nd November 2017 / 10:41 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this, it’s really helpful! Photography is something I’ve really been struggling with, I had no idea how other bloggers managed to take such amazing flatlays

• 23rd November 2017 / 5:52 pm

No problem, I’m glad you think it’s useful! I hope this has helped you xx

15. 23rd November 2017 / 11:08 am

Yesss I love using props in my photos!!! Great list you have here, makes me want to get more πŸ˜›

xx Sofia | SOFIAADOT

• 23rd November 2017 / 5:52 pm

Me too, it’s so exciting to experiment with different ones!xx

16. 24th November 2017 / 11:43 am

These are good tips! I’m no good at flatlays, I think I need to consider props more to get the photos right! πŸ™‚ I love that these photos are from your phone too, you’d never be able to tell if you hadn’t said, they look really professional πŸ™‚

Hope you are having a good week πŸ™‚ I had the day off yesterday and after a specialist appointment for the little one I dropped the boys off at their grandmother’s and did some Christmas shopping, yey!

Away From The Blue Blog

• 30th November 2017 / 9:00 pm

Thank you, I’m glad you think so! It’s all practice the more you do it and experiment the better you’ll get, and don’t be so hard on yourself. Thank you so much, that means a lot!

I am thank you, and I hope you are too! Christmas shopping is the best, hope you had fun and I hope the little one is okay too!xx

17. 25th November 2017 / 11:45 am

I’m pinning this asap to refer back to! So many great tips here, I’m useless when using props and backgrounds so this has been mega helpful to me πŸ˜€ Thanks for sharing Hannah! πŸ™‚

VioletDaffodils
    xx

• 25th November 2017 / 4:27 pm

I’m glad you like it, and it’s helpful! Nooo I love your photos! No problem xx

18. 26th November 2017 / 12:56 am

These are great! And it’s crazy how much you learn over time. Good to know about the Face Tune editing! I agree that investing in the editing is key. Props are fun to collect though! Your photos look great lady!

Susie | http://milehighdreamers.com

• 26th November 2017 / 8:28 pm

I’m glad you think so! It really is, you definitely learn as you go along. It really is, there are some great editing systems out there that don’t even cost that much. They really are, it’s fab when you spot something else to use. Thank you so much!xx

19. 26th November 2017 / 11:14 am

This is a great post Hannah, so helpful! Your pictures always look amazing! I love using dishes and fake flowers. After reading this I deffo need to get more props! I’m obsessed with that photo of the NYX palette, I need it! xx

louiselovesbeauty.com

• 26th November 2017 / 8:31 pm

Thank you, I’m glad you think so! Dishes and fake flowers are great to use. I hope you manage to find things you like! The NYX palette is fab, all of the sections are really good xx

• 30th November 2017 / 9:00 pm

Thank you! Glad it’s helped xx