Home » Nail Polish Declutter

Nail Polish Declutter

Nail polish was my thing back in the day. Every Sunday I’d paint my nails a different colour ready for the week. Now I’m lucky to remember to even paint them at all. I wouldn’t say my love for painting my nails died, it just became less of a priority. In fact it must be at least three or four years, since I’ve bought any. All of these are old and that’s a main factor in why some are going.

In this post I’m going to declutter my collection. The inspiration behind doing a post from this comes from Charlotte, as I love her blog and really enjoyed reading her post decluttering her collection. This post also means my 2019 goals are off to a great start.

This is probably my longest intro ever, so let’s get started. I’m going to split this into two categories: Keeping and Decluttered. Then I’ll be categorising by brand, as that’s how I’ve sorted them out.

Keeping

Essie

Left to Right: Bahama Mama, Cute as a Button and Fifth Avenue

Do you know what I like about Essie? The fact they have the name labeled on the top in the colour of the polish. Yes I’m easily pleased.

Bahama Mama – This was one of my first ever Essie products, and is fab for Autumn/ Winter. It’s a deep purple/ berry colour.

Cute as a Button – This colour is fab for Summer, as it’s a pink/ coral.

Fifth Avenue – This is a true red which I love!

Rimmel

Left to Right: Ring a Ring O’ Roses and Oragina

Ring A Ring O’ Roses – I love this colour and want more wear out of it.

Oragina I’m not sure on the name either. This from Rita Ora’s collection a few summers ago and it is the prettiest peachy coral.

Roxanne Campbell

Left to Right: Sitting Pretty and Violets are Blue.

I got sent these in 2017, and it was a fab introduction to the brand. If you want a little more detail I have a full post on them.

Sitting Pretty – This one is a vibrant hot pink. That is more of a summer colour for me.

Violets are Blue – A vibrant blue shade, which is a surprising favourite of mine. As I’m not too keen on blues.

Other

Left to Right: Princesses Rule!, Pinky Glitter and Barrier Reef.

As I only have one colour from each of these brands, I’m putting them in this category.

OPI | Princesses Rule! – This one is a beautiful shimmery baby pink. An extremely girly colour.

Sinful Colors | Pinky Glitter – I remember seeing this all over Tumblr back in the day. Part of me can’t believe I still have this, but I don’t want to part just yet.

Models Own | Barrier Reef – This is from the 2016 for tans collection. It’s a vibrant baby pink.

Barry M

Left to Right: Matt White, Ballerina, Kiss Me Quick and In a Heartbeat

I’ve saved the longest until last.

Matt White – Whenever I get acrylics I always end up getting white. Which means this can stay for now.

Ballerina – I love the look of this colour, it’s a deeper pink than what I’m used to.

Speedy Quick Dry | Kiss Me Quick – I find it hard to part with baby pinks, and I love the speedy formula.

Speedy Quick Dry | In a Heartbeat – How did I have no idea Barry M doesn’t do this range anymore? The name on the bottle has worn off, but I’m pretty sure this is what it’s called. It’s a really pretty pale peach.

Barry M | Gelly

Left to Right: Blood Orange, Chilli, Rose Hip, Acai Smoothie, Pink Lemonade and Lychee

Blood Orange – I was undecided on this, but as it was the only deep red shade I decided to keep it.

Chilli – This is another one I was undecided on, but decided to keep as the colour seems so unusual. It’s one that will be perfect for Autumn.

Rose Hip – This one was an all time favourite for a while.

Acai Smoothie – I’m not too sure how I feel about purple, but I’ve decided to try it out before giving it away.

Pink Lemonade – This one is a super pale pink, that I’m looking forward to trying again.

Lychee – I’m not too sure how I feel about nude nails, but I’m willing to give it a go.

Decluttering

Essie

Left to Right: Ballet Slippers, Muchi, Muchi, Coming Together, A Cut Above and Sugar Daddy

This is probably the most shocking for me, as I love these colours. They just don’t work for me.

Ballet Slippers – I’m pretty sure this was a raved about shade a while back, but it’s too sheer. It takes too much work.

Muchi, Muchi – I’m unsure if it’s just because it’s old, but this is pretty much water. Which means it’s no good, so it can go.

Coming Together – This is another very watery one and it’s very sheer.

A Cut Above – I love pink glitter, but after giving this another use. I’m not too keen on it.

Sugar Daddy – This colour is too sheer for me, and I don’t have the patience to make it work.

Nails Inc

Left to Right: Rainbow Wishes and Dream Dust.

Rainbow Wishes – This iridescent purple just doesn’t suit me.

Dream Dust – I’m not a fan of this kind of colour.

Models Own

Left to Right: Island Hop and Silver Fox.

Island Hop – This is to neon for me.

Silver Fox – I remember using this back when I was high school, and considering I left in 2013 it’s been a while. It’s just always one I struggled with, so I’ve decided to part.

Tanya Burr

Left to Right: Peaches & Cream, Mini Marshmallows and Pick ‘n’ Mix.

Whatever happened to Tanya Burr, everyone was talking about her makeup line a few years back and now she’s nowhere to be seen.

Peaches & Cream – This one is a nude with a slight pink to it

Mini Marshmallows – This one came out extremely sheer, and too much work for me.

Pick ‘n’ Mix – I needed to part with some bubble gum pinks, so this one can go.

Topshop

Left to Right: Peach and Cream and Fantastical.

I miss Topshop’s old packaging, at least it was different and quirky.

Peach and Cream – I like this colour, but it seems similar to ones I’m keeping.

Fantastical – There are only so many glittery pinks I can have.

Other

Left to Right: Shrimply Divine, Ethereal and Red.

Sally Hansen | Shrimply Divine – This one looks similar to Cute as a Button from Essie, so this ones got to go.

Rimmel | Ethereal – I’m just not a fan of the finish.

Maybelline | Red – This isn’t a striking red like I thought it would be, and I can’t see myself wearing it.

Barry M

Left to Right: Black, Red Wine, Strawberry Ice Cream, Speed Demon and Limited Edition.

Again, saving the biggest for last.

Black – I don’t think Black nails are my thing.

Red Wine – I do really like this colour, but I found it a little streaky at first.

Strawberry Ice Cream – A really cute pale pink, it’s just too pale and sheer.

Speedy Quick Dry | Speed Demon – This is a pale pink with shimmer and I have enough of those.

Superdrug Limited Edition – I just hate the way this thing looks.

Gelly

Left to Right: Blackberry, Plum, Blue Grape, Pomegranate, Prickly Pear, Sky Blue, Papaya, Coconut, Huckleberry and Dragon Fruit.

Blackberry – This is a deep blue, that is really pretty. It’s just not something I’d wear.

Plum – I very nearly kept this, but I doubt I’ll wear it.

Blue Grape – I remember buying this after seeing Zoella talk about it, but it’s not my kind of colour anymore. It’s a vibrant cobalt blue.

Pomegranate – This is a dark magenta, and there’s not much else to say other than I don’t like the colour.

Prickly Pear – I love lilac, I just don’t think it’ll look nice on my nails.

Sky Blue – This is a pretty baby blue, but I don’t think it suits me.

Papaya – This is a vibrant orange which I doubt I’d get much wear out of.

Coconut – I have a white already and this seemed a little harder to work with.

Huckleberry – Another pale blue that I’m not keen on.

Dragon Fruit – This is a barbie pink and I already have too many of those.

That is everything! Whew, that was a long one.

I’m keeping 21 and 32 are being decluttered. Which is definitely a lot better!

Do you like nail polish?

1. 10th February 2019 / 9:15 pm

I halved my collection last year but still have too many and a lot that are almost finished so you’ve inspired me to declutter it again this week! xx

• 10th February 2019 / 11:24 pm

Nail polish was always so easy to hoard, as some brands are so affordable haha! I hope you’re able to get it down again xx

• 10th February 2019 / 11:24 pm

Thank you! Haha, I love baby pink xx

2. Melissa Kacar
    11th February 2019 / 6:01 am

I have way too many nail polishes, this is definitely inspiring me to do a declutter of my own haha. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

melissakacar.blogspot.com

• 11th February 2019 / 4:26 pm

They’re so easy to build up! I’m glad it’s inspired you! No problem, thank you for stopping by xx

3. 11th February 2019 / 2:10 pm

I really need to have a good declutter of my nail polishes too! I’ve got so many it’s actually ridiculous and I probably use about a handful of them at the moment. I love Essie, definitely one of my fave nail brands, the colours are always so pretty on xx

Tiffany x http://www.foodandotherloves.co.uk

• 11th February 2019 / 5:07 pm

I hope you’re able to get round to it! Essie is such a great brand and they do so many fab colours xx

4. Nina
    11th February 2019 / 2:51 pm

What an amazing nail polish collection. So many gorgeous shades. I love Essi nail polishes.

Nina’s Style Blog

• 11th February 2019 / 5:10 pm

Thank you, it’s definitely a lot smaller now haha! Yes Essie are so good xx

5. 11th February 2019 / 2:57 pm

I love a good beauty declutter! I always like to check my polishes every other month to ensure none have become too separated. The Nails Inc and Barry M Polishes are some of my favourites xx

Gemma • Gemma Etc . ❤️

• 11th February 2019 / 5:11 pm

It’s always so satisfying! That is something I never bothered with haha! Yes both are those are so good xx

• 11th February 2019 / 5:12 pm

Thank you! It really does xx

6. Yiota
    11th February 2019 / 3:51 pm

You have quite a collection of nail polishes!!! I throw them away when they go bad, and they usually do that after a year of purchasing them. Need to pick some new spring shades soon!!

Yiota

• 11th February 2019 / 5:16 pm

Thank you, it’s definitely a lot smaller now haha! Surprisingly most of mine are quite a few years old now and still work really well! I hope you’re able to find some colours you like xx

• 13th February 2019 / 5:29 pm

Thank you, it’s definitely your post that encouraged it haha! Her brand was everywhere at one point, it’s so strange. Thank you xx

7. Sophie
    12th February 2019 / 6:48 am

Oh, I just love a good declutter! I did nail polish declutter on my blog a little while back and it was just so satisfying to finally do. I really enjoyed reading your nail polish declutter post, super refreshing!

-Sophie xx
    Cherries & Perfume

• 13th February 2019 / 5:29 pm

It’s so rewarding isn’t it?! Oooh I’ll have to check it out. Thank you, that means a lot xx

8. 12th February 2019 / 2:10 pm

Wow I love your collection! Last year, I pretty much decluttered all my nail polishes. I had so many because I was doing nail art back in the day and I couldn’t keep all of them with the little space I had. I’m so shocked with the Essie nail polishes you’re decluttering, those colours are so beautiful. Some colours can look so beautiful inside the bottle but they turn out completely different after painting on our nails. This was such an interesting post, thanks for sharing! xx

New Lune | http://new-lune.com

• 13th February 2019 / 5:42 pm

Thank you! Ah I remember nail art being big back in the day. I know, it’s weird because they’re my favourite colours to wear, they’re all just so watery and take too many layers to build up. That ballet slippers took about five coats! Thank you, I’m glad you think so and thank you for stopping by!xx

• 13th February 2019 / 5:43 pm

9. 12th February 2019 / 4:00 pm

I love decluttering beauty products but I have to say I have forgotten about my nail polishes! You had quite the collection there haha but some lovely colours! I also love the furry background that you used for your photos 🙂 xx

• 13th February 2019 / 5:46 pm

It’s so satisfying isn’t it?! They’re so easy to overlook. I know, I used to be mad for nail polish when I was in high school and I hadn’t decluttered since then which is a bit gross really haha! Thank you so much xx

10. monica hein
    12th February 2019 / 4:07 pm

I got rid off a bag full of nail polishes. I still have so many more but dunno some of them I can;t bring myself to just throw away 🙁

• 16th February 2019 / 11:03 pm

At least you made a start! Some are harder to throw out aren’t they?!xx

11. 12th February 2019 / 11:46 pm

I love a good declutter session- especially when it comes to nail polishes since I definitely have a bit of a hoarding tendency when it comes to those, haha!

Paula | Thirteen Thoughts

• 16th February 2019 / 11:04 pm

Yes, a good declutter is always great! Nail polish is definitely something thats easy to hoard xx

12. 13th February 2019 / 3:38 am

I am so with you! I use to have a massive stash of nail polish, it was my pride and joy the collection I had. But now, I can’t even remember when I last had my nails painted. Thank you for sharing this. Xo, Ellese

Rock.Paper.Glam.

• 16th February 2019 / 11:04 pm

Glad it isn’t just me haha! No problem, thank you for stopping by xx

13. 13th February 2019 / 8:36 am

I absolutely loved this post! I need to declutter my nail polish collection as there are some shades I either never wear or they’re ridiculously old and don’t work properly anymore. This has definitely inspired me to be a bit ruthless and get rid haha x

Lauren | itslaurenvictoria.co.uk

• 16th February 2019 / 11:05 pm

Thank you! Nail polish was always so easy to hoard. I hope you’re able to do it!xx

14. 13th February 2019 / 10:16 am

I loved looking at your pics.
    Nail Polish and lipsticks!…Oh I just hoard them.
    Thanks for the inspo to declutter.
    You know I keep them on the ref
    so maybe it is time for me to organize my ref too.

Ann

• 20th February 2019 / 10:09 am

Thank you! They’re so easy to hoard aren’t they haha! It’s no problem, I hope you’re able to go through yours!xx

15. 14th February 2019 / 3:52 pm

I used to wear nail polish all the time too but I haven’t done my nails in over a year. This was really satisfying to read and you managed to clear out a lot! I’m taking this as my reminder to have a clear out of mine too haha.

x Kara |http://karascloset.net

• 16th February 2019 / 11:06 pm

Finding the time to do it now is so difficult! Thank you, I’m glad you think so! I hope you’re able to do it xx